Monday, January 13, 2014

The Spark

"Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, 'I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life." John 8:12

I love the devotion for the day given to us by Lisa Cheater. She says that Jesus is the "Light in a dark, sinful world." And, while I think we can agree with that, I think we can also go one step further. We are the carriers of the spark. That is, Jesus is the fire, but a little bit of that fire is in each of us. We all carry the spark that is the love of Jesus in our hearts. That's what makes worship so powerful, that's what makes Youth Group so powerful. A gathering of a lot of little sparks makes for a lot of warmth.

That's what I felt last night when I saw so many faces smiling and enjoying one-another's company. We got together and we helped to put away Christmas decorations for the season, then we played games. Not exactly earth-shattering in terms of world impact or deep theological study, just fellowship. Just peace with one another and the chance to know that we are not alone in our belief, in our world. We matter to one another, each of you matters to me.

I hope that we, as a Youth Group, continue to strengthen this bond and that as all of us gain and earn trust in each other, that we can share more of our spark. More of our hopes and dreams, our thoughts, our beliefs. I hope that we can see in each other "encouraging examples of [Christ's] goodness..."

Blessings,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment