Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Resolution: Daily Devotions

For Christmas this year, I (read the church, with much input from my wife, Sarah) purchased daily devotional books for all of the Youth of St. Mark's UMC. If you are a Youth and have not received your book yet, come to church on Sunday, January 5th, (or any Sunday, really) and we'll get it to you. I also gave copies to Bob and Deanna and kept one for myself. My idea was that hopefully this could give us, not only a new opportunity to find a way to pray each day, but also to "be on the same page," if you will, though this year-long journey.

I am very excited about this book called, "Conversations with Jesus: 365 Daily Devotions for Teens" written by Lisa Cheater. It has 365 daily devotions that are very short, but very meaningful. Each one is accompanied by a scripture passage, which I hope to explore in more depth on those days where I find I have more time and/or more need to go deeper into the meaning of the scripture. I am excited by the length of each devotion because it gives me NO EXCUSE not to read it, and, if I were to miss a day, I could catch up in no time.

I will put the suggested scripture reading on our Facebook page each day, but reading the accompanying text will be up to you. I also hope to write blog posts on days where I feel particularly inspired/time permits.

I really hope you will join me on this journey. I don't mind telling you, there are a lot of things that I have started and intended to follow-through with over the course of the year that just never happened, but I think this is something that even *I* can do.

Blessings,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment