Monday, March 23, 2015

Who are we trying to impress?

I've been reading a lot of blog posts by Youth Pastors and other church workers about spirituality vs. behavior modification. Starting with Youth Sunday this year, many of our conversations in Sunday School and Youth Group have been centered around being who you are, no matter your surroundings. We've already discussed at length how we all tend to moderate our behavior based on who we're with, but who are we trying to impress?
Psalm 119: 1-16
The Glories of God’s Law
1 Happy are those whose way is blameless,
    who walk in the law of the Lord.
2 Happy are those who keep his decrees,
    who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
    but walk in his ways.
4 You have commanded your precepts
    to be kept diligently.
5 O that my ways may be steadfast
    in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,
    having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
    when I learn your righteous ordinances.
8 I will observe your statutes;
    do not utterly forsake me.
9 How can young people keep their way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
    do not let me stray from your commandments.
11 I treasure your word in my heart,
    so that I may not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
    teach me your statutes.
13 With my lips I declare
    all the ordinances of your mouth.
14 I delight in the way of your decrees
    as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts,
    and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.
Growing up in the church can be confusing. At least, I know it was for me. Why are there so many rules to follow? What makes a sin a sin? If we know we are loved and forgiven by our God, why not sin?

Psalm 119 says "Happy are those whose way is blameless,..."

So, perhaps the answer to the question "who are we trying to impress?" is us. We will never be perfect, but that doesn't mean we won't stop trying. To know that we have a relationship with God is to be happy.

Like any relationship, there can be stress, there can be disagreement. When we take a relationship for granted or when we stop investing our time into it, it can become strained, even unpleasant. When we forget to pray, or forget to be thankful for all of the blessings God has given us, we add stress to our relationship with God. So, do yourself a favor; talk with God, thank God for all you've been given. "...seek him with [your] whole heart." And Be Happy!

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment